Friday, February 14, 2014

Using a story book to teach about Cebral palsy.

Sometimes when JD sees people with crutches or wheelchair, he'd ask "what happened to them? Is their leg broken?" Since he is a "visual person", sometimes I have to search for social story or pictures from google to explain it to him slowly, so that he won't say the wrong thing and hurt people's feeling.

When I saw the book "My Friend Suhana: A Story of Friendship and Cerebral Palsy" and the brief introduction about how a girl helps her friend who suffers from Cebral Palsy I thought this might be a great book to teach him about it and also what he can do to help. And I was right! The book is good as the illustration were so nice and the colours just make you want to read more. The illustrations made it easier to explain in detail about Cebral Palsy and the difficulties that they face.

What I really like the most is how the author encourages children to be nice to people and also suggest ways for the readers to help and cheer people up. 


It was really a book that gives you a warm feeling after you read it. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment