Friday, February 14, 2014

About Vitiligo

Since JD is an Asperger, he might have problems controlling himself from saying the wrong thing when he meet with people who looks differently from him or has disability. So on and off I will have to slowly introduce to him different kinds of problems that people have, teach him about it and also what to say or what to avoid saying in order not to hurt people's feeling.

So when I saw the book "Snow White's Seven Patches - A Vitiligo Fairy Tale", I thought it would be a suitable book to use as an example to introduce Vitiligo since he has a friend in robotics class who has it.

JT and JD reading and looking at the baby with Vitiligo skin. 

When they first read and saw the baby's picture, they were surprised and asked why one can have Vitiligo. I was hoping that the book will at least give a brief info about it, but there were none so I had to think of my very own explanation about it.

And then came the 7 continents world map. It was their first time seeing the world map and first time knowing there were 7 continents too.

There was a moment when they were  sad when they know that the mother only fed Snow an apple after she writes a book. They must be wondering how do you only eat an apple a day and not be hungry *lol* and they got so worried when she ate the apple and went to sleep. However, they were pleased with the ending and they asked me why the mother looked so miserable.

So after reading the book, I tested JD "so...what do you say to someone that has Vitiligo?" And he replied "you have nice patches!"

*lol*Oh my... I hope the author will consider writing a story book about Asperger's so that more people are aware that they mean no harm and they are just born to be direct and honest. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment