Sunday, March 31, 2013

S.I.Y: Fixing a wide shoulder blouse (UPDATED)

***Updated with extra notes and new pics for better explanation.

I bought this top from Cotton On online long time ago but I have problem wearing it cos the arm hole was too tight (at the elbow) for me and the shoulder is too wide and it has this ribbon sewn across at the back. I wore this top out and 2 of my friends commented that they have the same blouse but still havent wear it yet cos the shoulder is too huge and they have problem wearing it. (Becareful when you buy clothes from Cotton On. The measurement is slightly bigger than other brands. I thought I will fit nicely in size XS but its still big for me. Not that I am skinny, but the clothes are slightlty bigger)


And I thought that it's ugly wearing the ribbon across like that and if I were to cut it away, the shoulder is definitely gonna keep falling and I will have a tough time adjust the blouse the entire time I wear it.
Because of the front that is too wide, I cannot afford to have my sleeve falling down, not even on one side. Many ppl will have sore eyes if one of the sleeve fall.*lol*


Recently I tried it on again and I lost weight, at the elbow area. *lol of all place ???* and I need to wear this blouse today to attend a full moon party. But I still hate the ribbon at the back. And I thought why not remove the ribbon and sew shirt to my bra? Then I thought of a better idea. So I quickly run to my store/sewing room and gathered the materials needed, 2 buttons, needle, thread, scissors and I cut off the ribbon from the blouse.


1. Sew the button on at the edge of the shoulder sleeve. ( i know... i have ugly nails!)

2. Measure the button and make a knot with the ribbon.


3. Put the ribbon over the button and pull it so that it fits just snugly at the button.
4. Sew the other side of the ribbon like this.


5. Secure the ribbons to the button and you're ready to go.


Okay where exactly do you sew? And how do you secure it? Here's how and where. Dotted line represents ribbon is under the bra strap.

And this is how it looks like when you lock it. Sorry Iphone very blur.



Yay! I don't have to give away another of my clothes bought online (either too small or too big all the time!) and the shoulder stay firmly for the entire time I was wearing this. Now I'm thinking to sew some on blouses which have wide shoulder or tiny straps. :)

And yes it's SEW EASY! You Can Sew It Yourself!

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea! I have few wide shoulder blouses too. Instead of giving to my sis, I can now alter and wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH!!! So this is the way how to secure it! Hmmm..can i sent mine to you ar? Let you fix for me..LOL!! I got chicken hand, simple thing also cannot get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a brilliant idea. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this idea!
    I have the same problem with this really lovely top i had, but can never figure out a way to fix it. Thanks! (^^ )

    ReplyDelete